SailNet Community - View Single Post - Head - Hoses
Thread: Head - Hoses
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I have done many head installations and you are getting good advice. First, make sure you have the correct hose fittings. They sell specifically made sanitary hose fittings that are slightly smaller in diameter, they are smooth, without the ribs, as previously pointed out. If you can only find the regular ribbed fis , you can grind off the ribs and get them to fit. Second, use heat on the hose, hot boiling water will work but it can be hard to keep the water hot enough for a long enough time, I prefer judicious use of a heat gun, just be careful not to over heat them. Third,liquid soap is a good lubricant to use , any excess eventually will wash away, it also gets sticky when it dries, unlike lubricants such as silicone which will remain slippery. Be sure to double clamp all your connections. Also, when twisting the hose on, be sure to twist in the opposite direction of the coiling so as to help expand the hose as it goes on. If you notice , twisting on in one direction will seem to be harder, tighter, than the other. I believe twisting the hose on in a counterclockwise direction is the way to do it. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook