SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI suggestions
Thread: BVI suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004

WaltAllensworth is on a distinguished road
BVI suggestions

My wife and I have chartered for a total of 40 days in the BVI/USVI. By far our favorite place is the Baths. We stayed at Trellis Bay on the east-end of Tortola, and at first light we motored over to Virgin Gorda (less than an hour), picked up a mooring at 7am, and then had breakfast. Batteries are charged, and we were the first boat at The Baths... what''s not to like?

Another wonderful place is The Dogs. Not a good overnight anchorage, but a wonderful snorkeling spot. My son-in-law and I got into a school of fish that must have numbered in the hundreds of thousands. It was magical. We saw every type of fish there.

Have heard that Monkey Point is a great place to overnight and snorkel, but when we went there there were too many stinging jellyfish to safely snorkel. (very unusual)

Almost anywhere there''s a major anchorage you can get food ashore. Cane Garden Bay is nice because you can play at Sandy Cay in the morning, and go back to Cane Garden for the evening. Lots of places to eat ashore - very casual. Alternately, anchor behind Sandy Spit if the weather is settled and wind from the N.E. We spent the night there, and were the only boat, as everyone else beat it back to Cane Garden. Funny feeling hanging there on the hook watching everyone bail out wondering "what do they know, that we don''t know?" Nothing it turns out. A very nice anchorage.

Soaper''s hole is snug, and has many nice eateries, some casual, some not. We ate at the Jolly Rodger.

The North End of Virgin Gorda (North Gorda Sound) is a nice place to anchor for a couple of days. The restaurant is very nice (upscale though). It''s a good place for the wind-surfer because the worst thing that could happen is a beginner will be blown down wind outta the anchorage and you''ll have to fetch them with the dingy. The Bight at Norman Island is a nice snug anchorage. Good snorkeling at the Caves. If memory serves, there''s a couple of good restaurants there, one floating.

One bit of advice on anchorages for the night - don''t get there later than 2pm. They might be filled up! The BVI is very crowded.

I could go on and on... but that''s enough for a 7-day tour!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook