SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raytheon ST-60 instruments
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 04-20-2001
Constantin

Raytheon ST-60 instruments

Fer@fer,

The design of the ST-60 is somewaht different in how they seal the units. While the ST50 depended on snap-fits to keep the water out, the ST 60s are hermetically sealed but have a gore-tex patch to allow the unit to breathe without allowing water in.

Our ST50s are installed on a 45 degree incline, a condition I am sure will aggrevate any problems. Another Prout Escale owner got so discouraged that he put a perspex cover over the ST50s to keep rainfall from hitting them.

Ours cloud over and were repaired a number of times at Ray Marine in New Hampshire. The first time we replaced the displays was not because of condensation - the digits dissappreared when the back light was turned on! Not something you want to discover while pulling into a new anchorage at night. Each display cost us $50 plus labor (ouch!)

I actually considered ripping all the Autohelm stuff out as I consider the Raymarine warranty to be a joke. But the costs and hassles of replacing everything will probably incline me to replace the ST50 display units over time.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome