SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004

bob-m is on a distinguished road
Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!

Ed,

Let me back-up a little. With your limited sailing experience it might not be wise to sell everything just yet. All sailors dream of sailing away, but the cruising life style isn''t for everyone. I''ve known alot of good folks that decided after 6-12 months that it just wasn''t for them. Some find it boring, others find it too primative of a life style, while others don''t want to deal with maintaining a liveaboard vessel.

Please understand that I don''t want to discourage you in any way. My wife & I cruised for 12 years and only stopped for health reasons. We loved it, as do many others. I guess I should qualify my earlier suggestion by saying "if you are truely committed to cruising for a long period of time and are truely prepared" .

A better idea might be to buy a camper, as you suggested, and move to the east coast. Spend some time on the Chesapeake or Pamlico and see if cruising is truely want you want to do. This would also give you an opportunity to take your time in selecting a boat that fits your needs.
Living out of a camper is very similar to living aboard, without the maintenance headaches and costs. (We have lived in a camper for the last 6 months).

The boat you have now would be a good day-sailor for those areas. Buying a larger boat and selling everything might not be that wise, until you have "tested the waters".

regards
bob-m
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook