SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road
Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!

My wife and I are going to live aboard soon. We bought a Pearson 323. I suggest that you read Sensible Cruising the Thoreau approach. We have spent several days on the boat and it seems big enough for a couple though not big enough to carry a lot of scuba gear etc.
Buying a boat is hard!!! We looked for two years and still made mistakes. I recommend that you find a good coastal cruiser and costal sail for a year or two. At least that''s our plan. Then if we really like cruising we''ll buy a blue water boat. With our P-323 we can afford to walk away even if it''s a total loss. With a good blue water boat we couldn''t afford the loss.
We have seen some live aboards that look awfully rough.... not much more than a homeless person. Some of them seem happy some seem trapped with few options. Living on a boat at a marina full time without enough money is not something that we wish to experience.
Boats aren''t easy to sell!!!! Especially if you expect to recover most of your investment. That''s why it would be wise to check out the lifestyle in a reversible manner before making the full commitment. There is a couple at our marina that bought a new Catalina 320 to cruise. The family situation changed and they are having trouble selling the boat. It''s sad to see their boat all ready to go and they can''t.. They had been planning a cruising retirement for years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook