SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lazy Jacks
Thread: Lazy Jacks
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I just modified the boom on my boat to have a better lazy jack system and quick furling system. The modification is pretty simple.

I added four padeyes to each side of the boom. On the 12' boom, I spaced the padeyes 1' in from each end and 2.5' apart. I then ran shock cord through the padeyes on each side. On one side, I added plastic shock cord hooks between each pair of padeyes. To furl the sail, I pull the hook over the boom and attach it to the shock cord on the other side of the boom.

I then attached a line to each pair of the padeyes to make a four-leg lazyjack system that looks like this:

The four legs keep the sail pretty well contained when lowering or reefing the sail. The green line is long enough so that the lazy jacks can be lowered and run forward along the boom and up the mast, keeping them out of the way when raising the main or when sitting at anchor.

The materials I used for this are:

10 Padeyes (two are mounted on the mast just below the second set of spreaders, the other eight are mounted on the boom)
2 Harken micro blocks (attached to the padeyes on the mast)
140' of 5/32" line
6 Stainless steel 1" rings for attaching the lines to each other
20' of 1/4" shock cord
3 nylon shock cord hooks
20 3/16" x 1/4" stainless steel pop rivets
Lanocote

If you drop the lazyjacks forward, the sailcover doesn't even need to be modified. Total cost for the system was less than $200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-16-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook