SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored or NOT cored?????
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Cored or NOT cored?????

Jeff, I''ll admit to a small secret. I saw the post explaining a preference for a solid fiberglass deck on a smaller boat, winced a bit, and then decided to wait for your reply...''cause I just knew it was coming and also knew you''d do a better job than I could at correcting the misunderstanding.

In fact, your answer was so thorough I''d like to pose a follow-up question based on its content. I think you are generally referring to chopped strand mat when you carefully denote "non-directional or cut fiber reinforcing". For folks not familiar with boat building, some builders use a vacuum- or pump-fed gun that sucks up supplies of resin and chopped strands of fiberglass (one would hope, in the right ratio!) as they are building up large areas of fiberglass...as e.g. when they are building the hull of your boat. This is a quick, not labor intensive method to build up laminate thickness but it results in a weaker glass-resin matrix. So...to sum up: using "non-directional or cut fiber reinforcing " is not, when generally speaking about the major components of a glass boat, good news for the owner/buyer, relatively speaking. (Hope I qualified that sufficiently. They used chopped strand mat when buiding the shower stall for my boat, and I don''t have any gripes about it!)

Jeff, my question is based on the hope that you might be familiar with the ever-popular, relentlessly-reviewed, high-volume boat builders most often discussed on this BB (and others) - let''s include the following altho'' please add those I''ve missed:
Bavaria
Beneteau
Catalina
Hunter
Jeanneau
Specifically WRT the hull lay-ups, do you happen to know which of these builders use "non-directional or cut fiber reinforcing " in building their boats'' hulls? Knowing would be one basic, helpful data point for folks shopping for their next boat, I would think...even tho'' it''s a complicated, complex equation that produces an end product we call a boat.

BTW based on my limited experience, I surely do agree with your comments about closed cell foam as a preferred core material on decks. I notice it being a favorite of northern European builders and I assume it''s partially because of its insulating benefits. Were I a Northwest, Great Lakes or Northeast sailor, that would rank relatively high on my list of preferred boat characteristics.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook