SailNet Community - View Single Post - Woud YOU take a Newport 30 offshore?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I think that Chuckles pegged it.....For the most part, Capital Yachts purchased the tooling for obsolete boats from other manufacturers and produced generally value oriented models. I may be mistaken but I think that the Newport 30 began life as a Mull designed Ranger. As such they were pretty nice coastal cruisers, offering decent accomodations and sailing ability. I've always liked Gary Mulls work.

When you talk about trying to take one offshore, that is far from their original intent when new and very far from their capabilities without heavily modifying them as 25 year old boats. These boats were pretty lightly built when new. Their shoe-box style hull to deck joint was never intended for the rigours of offshore abuse. They had minimal internal framing. Their deck hardware was adequate for coastal sailing but not really sized for the kinds of heavier conditions that one would expect offshore. and so on....

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook