SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004

newuser is on a distinguished road
Help…Logistics of Moving Aboard!

I’m definitely getting some good advice here and I really appreciate it.

Although I’ve lived in Arizona for the last 30 years I was raised on the Chesapeake Bay.
There was always a boat in our family, power not sail. I’ve even done some commercial crabbing on the bay in my younger days.
So I’m a little familiar with on-board life. The living in cramped quarters and living with less materially wouldn’t bother either myself
or my wife. I was originally a carpenter, was hurt on the job and retrained in electronics. I’m a pretty good “handyman”, good with
tools and working with my hands. I’m confident I could handle most maintenance chores aboard. I don’t think we’ll have much of
a problem living aboard. It is getting there with a good plan that has me worried.

Bob gave some good advice about divesting myself of all the usual homeowner’s “Stuff”. I think I’ll set aside the guest room for stashing
away the things we’ll need on the boat. The furniture, etc. I’ll try to sell through the newspapers and yard sales. And of course, donations
to Goodwill, etc. I also see quite a few trips to the city dump. My neighbor suggested an auction so I think I’ll contact one of the estate auction
houses in the vicinity.

Once the house was sold, the plan would then be to pack up either a travel trailer or U-haul and head for, probably, Florida. I’d, hopefully, start
out with a particular boat or two in mind.

The internet is a great place to window shop. I’ve looked at a lot of boats and have decided on my main criteria: 35-45 ft. GPS, computer charting,
autopilot, Radar, depth, wind speed/direction , refrigeration instead of an icebox and probably a head with a holding tank. A wind generator or solar
panel would be nice but not a necessity as would an inverter.
Since my price range is below $100000 I’m looking at some older boats. Some of these boats have gone through some refurbishments, but generally
speaking could I pick up a 30 year old boat that would give me low maintenance service for 5 or 6 years? Or should I go with a smaller newer one?

Ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook