SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting a Free Sabre 28
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
T37Chef's advice is right on the mark, know when it's time to stop sinking money into it. In the meantime have a ball and keep us posted of your progress!
There comes a time when you can stop sinking money into a boat? I'm on something like number 12 currently (looking at potentially #13 this Saturday) and I haven't come across a boat like that yet. ;-)

Free is good. That justifies a lot of time, effort and funds provided it is a sound foundation to build from. I walked away from a free Cheroy Lee Frisco Flyer (26' wood boat) once that I figured would eat me, my time and my available funds alive. To pay a yard to do what that boat needed (five years ago) would have cost $45 to 50K I guessed. If I'd done it myself (ha) I'd just about be getting done now after having not had a vacation day in those five years that wasn't working at that. Some guys love that stuff (God bless 'em) and would rather build/futz than sail. Not me.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook