SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is my rudder OK?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004

raybies is on a distinguished road
Is my rudder OK?

This may be a really stupid post, but I would prefer to be safe than sorry.

I have a 1985 Beneteau Idylle 10.5 moored in Sydney Harbour. Yesterday as I was about to leave the boat, I noticed a broken nylon strap wedged up high at the back of the rudder, between it and the hull.

I pulled it out initially thinking it was just a piece of flotsam, but because of its size I have started to wonder if it was actually a component of the rudder system.

It isn''t easy to describe, but it was band of white nylon a little under 1/2 inch wide with a joining piece that made the whole thing form a circle of about 5 inches in diameter. That is just about the size of the top part of the rudder.

I have no first hand knowledge of the components of the rudder system and that''s why I''m a little nervous. I have looked for diagrams on the net to no avail and unfortunately, I''ve misplaced the offending item and can''t show it to anbody. My boatyard people haven''t been of much assistance, even though they have serviced the rudder in the past.

I would appreciate any assistance that people may be able to offer. I''ll be happy to be told that it was just a piece of rubbish that I have picked up.

Also, can anyone recommend a book that will give a good generic overview of the various mechanical (and possibly electrical) systems on a boat. It is obvious from the fact that I needed to make this post in the first place, that I need to know a lot more about ny boat.

Thanks in adcance,

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook