SailNet Community - View Single Post - Woud YOU take a Newport 30 offshore?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H
For the most part, Capital Yachts purchased the tooling for obsolete boats from other manufacturers and produced generally value oriented models. I may be mistaken but I think that the Newport 30 began life as a Mull designed Ranger.
Don't think so... The Newport 30 and 33 was a separate design from the Ranger; the boat is wider in beam and heavier displacement. Not saying that it is well suited for offshore conditions; just mentioning that it is not a re-cycled Ranger hull.

I think there is confusion about the Capital Yachts boats; they were robustly built boats and I would not call them "obsolete" in their era of mfr. The C&C Redline 41 was the boat that Jeff may be referring to as "obsolete" but really it was just an offshore race boat design that C&C decided to sell the molds of so they could build capital to design others with. C&C was more in the custom race boat market at the time; not the mass market for racer/cruisers. After a failed attempt to convert the 41 to a racer/cruiser by Enterprise; the molds were sold again to Capital Yachts and built for over 20 years as the Newport 41. The hull construction remained the same as the Redline 41.

Mull designed the 30 and 33 to fill out the Newport fleet for Capital Yachts; the 28 and the 41 were C&C designs. The 28 looks more like a scaled down 41 than the 30/33.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 09-18-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook