SailNet Community - View Single Post - Abacos
Thread: Abacos
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004

Bermuda is on a distinguished road
Abacos

Having made the southern return last spring, leaving White Sound and exiting at Tiloo Cut, we made the passage to Miami in forty six hours via NW Prov. Chan. I stayed in deep water until approaching The Isaacs (sp?)where I jumped on the banks leaving The Isaacs well to starboard and then made it across the stream to Miami.

Having said that, If I were not an experienced bluewater sailor I would not make the southern route if there is any weather or winds forecasted and increasing to more than 18 Kts as the southerly winds along the Abaco coast can create a sloppy wet, brain jarring uncomfortable beat until you turn the corner at Hole-in-the-Wall, and your family will hate you.

I would recommend that you monitor the weather patterns on a daily basis so that you can make an educated route choice. If it is blowing I would definitely take catgirl''s advice and take your trip on the inside up and around the top, exiting to the stream wall just north of West End. It might end up taking an extra day that way but you will be much more comfortable on the inside. I would also recommend that if you opt for the northern exit that you perhaps anchor in Sale Cay and depart in the wee hours of the morning so that you arrive near West End during daylight hours lest you invite a rocky bump.

Have a pleasant trip, Abacos are a sailing visitors paradise. IMHO

Fair winds, calm seas,

Capt. Bruce Gregory
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook