SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will my boat sink? What should I do?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
Will my boat sink? What should I do?

Okay, y'all have helped out alot with getting my inboard back running (1979 Cal 27):
Trying to get an older Universal diesel running...experience appreciated!

today, armed with fresh fuel, filters, new fuel lines, manuals I set out to try to get the enigne to fire.

Alas the first thing I do is try to see what postion the gate valve for the raw water intake is in. (thru hull fitting). I try to turn it clockwise, counterclockwise and meet some resistance. Giving it some more pressure...................."SNAP!"............. the gate valve handle is now in my hand and the thru hull fitting is wide open!

Long story short, after about 5 hours and 3 trips to Home Depot I get a rubber stopper the right size to plug the intake under the hull, just enough to slow down the flow inside the engine compartment enought to jamb some plumber's epoxy into the open valve (it will harden in water) and place a stainless U clamp over it. It finally stopped. No drips.

I have pictures, but can't find the USB for this particular camera right now. I will post when I find the cable.

So!? Now what? can I trust the patch to get me through the rest of the fall? Do I need to haul her out right now? There is no haul out service on the lake, you have to get a crane in there. I know where to get one, but then I need a trailer or stands to put it on.

I probalby left something out, but man, with the gate "taped in" the flow into the hull was probably 4 gal an hour, if it fell out, probably 1 gal per minute. I was not comfortable with either leak.

Any suggestions? Will post pics when I find the cable.

Thanks,
CB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook