SailNet Community - View Single Post - J 30 good boat ? Jeff, please let me know
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004

Wega24 is on a distinguished road
J 30 good boat ? Jeff, please let me know

Thanks, as usual a wonderful report, even if I didnt want to hear about the problems.

Some of them are of course age related and therefore pretty universal applied to all older boats.

Dont have any problems of fixing small stuff and continue to upgrade stuff while I am enjoying the boat. Same with cosmetics, no problem. Kinda problems to spend all I have and than have to spring for a large sum though.

I am sailing on a relative shallow inland lake. No offshore stuff. Usually with 2 people ( wife and I ) for racing I can get another couple but am un-willing to "hire" a 6 man crew. No one design racing in the future but PHREF only. We are serious about racing, but not anal. Meaning we will run most races in non spinaker class. Maybe 8 - 10 races a year. We are racing our old german boat right now ( phref 295 ), doing pretty good with it in our 2nd year racing, but I am tired to arrive 30 minutes later and than "perf" over a lot of others.

The wife wants standing room inside and an enclosed "necessity" room. We are not planning on a 2 week cruise, but like to have a big well insulated icebox.and enough to make breakfast while coving out

Because the money I am spending on a new old boat it has to be carefully planned, so the boat doesnt loose value like crazy. And as I said 25000 are upper ( uppest :-) limit.

Would be nice to have a trailer, to save on transport costs, and to be more flexible, if work and home might change location.

We were looking at a 90 Capri 26 before, but these boats are relative rare and expensive for what they are.( at least my opinion ) and also they look like Catalinas
( forgive me Catalina Owners, its personal and I dont have anything bad to say about Catalinas, just that I like to have something a little different than 200 other boats on the lake.)

Anything jumps up you want to comment on, Jeff? ( or others of course )

Having said this, I really have to give you ( Jeff ) a huge "Thumbs up" for all the well informed help you are providing. You are the backbone of this board. If I would be closer to your home I would like to invite you for a beer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook