SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Wife is no longer allowed on our boat,....
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
My Wife is no longer allowed on our boat,....

well at least allowed to operate the motor.

Last year we were approaching our mooring. We were about 100 yards away from it and I yell back, to start to throttle down. The boat keeps moving forward at about 3 kts, so I yell back again to throttle down to which she yells forward while waving the now broken off throttle lever, "I can't". I madly dash down below to pull out a pair of vise grips and manage to use them to reduce the motor to crawl so that we can park the boat. I had about 5 boat length to spare.

A few weeks ago, the same thing happened, but this time we had no urgency, she was just throttling up going out of the harbor. I talked to the Yanmar guy and he says that shearing of the throttle bolt probably means the cable is stiff and should either be replaced or lubed. The lever should move easily, but have some resistance. Ours is somewhat stiff.

Yesterday, we are out of the harbor, sails are up and we are sailing. The Admiral shuts down the motor and then says, "Uh oh". I look back, thinking that she has sheared the key off in the ignition. Better, as she removed the key, we hit a wave and she braced against the engine control panel, her hand slipped and her palm sheared off the cap that holds in the ignition switch. The whole ignition switch is now in pieces and they are everywhere.

I get back and repiece everything together, but it won't stay together. Basically there is one piece that needs be twisted correctly to get the engine to start. We test it and the engine refires, so that is good. Managed to work when we had to motor back to the harbor due to no wind, but now I need to install a new switch.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 09-22-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook