SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second Thoughts
Thread: Second Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

Having owned 6 sailboats 2 of which were new and having had the good fortune of being in and active 19 boat J24 fleet in the 80s i new what i was getting into

I looked at every J24 in the Northeast and past on most of them as they were overpriced because they had a 10000 dollar bottom/keel job OR they were so far gone it was not practical from a time or money standpoint as i really wanted to be sailing it in 2008 NOT 2010

It took well over 100 hours of crazy hard work this spring just to get the boat to were it was safe to put into the water and there is just no way a newbie would have realized the pool hose hacked onto the sink drain would have sunk the boat on a LONG starboard tack

Or realized if they did not put the rudder in there Bridgeport and make the tiller hole round again then went over to there lathe to make a bushing and washers that it would have failed

So i got a boat for with a FULL set of one season race sails and a FULL set of everyday sails a well as and outboard still in the box ,the PO hurt his back and the boat sat in the driveway for 4 years

A J24 friend i made this season bought one of the hulls i had passed on the sails are CRAP the hull has blisters the deck is so bad the stanchions have cracked through it leaving exposed core

The list of FUBAR is so long and his repair skills are so lacking it is a fiasco and to tell you the truth i would have just kept windsurfing or bought a used Laser before i took on that boat

So i really cant understand how you can be so hard on someone who asked advise because i can tell you right now with the missing inboard that boat is going to price OUT OF CONTROL before it ever sees the water

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook