SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Hughes 35 A Offshore Boat ?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Looks more like an end-era CCA design to me. And I don't think it's bad looking and probably sails just fine offshore; as almost all S&S designed hulls do.

I really can't see why this boat would be in need of rail meat as compared to a ULDB boat. Boats of this era were designed with lower CG and more ballast JeffH just does not like boats that were designed earlier than the tail end of IOR; but there were plenty of nicely designed racer/cruisers during that time period (IMHO).

I don't know specifics about the Hughes 35; but to me it looks like it would make a fine coastal/offshore boat if properly equipped and thoroughly re-fitted. I would not just step aboard a boat of this era and expect to sail across oceans (both in boat preparation or experience); it is not very wise to do that sort of thing. In terms of experience; it seems that you might need to do some more sailing and casual research of different types of boats before you decide to go offshore. Asking us here what boats are well suited to go across an ocean brings concern to me that you need to gain more knowledge/experience as a sailor before you decide to set out into the deep blue. If it's a 5-10 year plan to get some good offshore experience first but buy the right boat now; that's OK but otherwise please gain more knowledge/experience before you buy a boat and set off for Hawaii.

Here is a good looking book that you might want to read (looks good but I have not read it yet):

Complete Guide to Choosing a Cruising Sailboat : Nautical Books at Paracay.com

Also the books by Linn and Larry Pardey on the same website. A woman solo circumnavigated on a Southern Cross 28 last year; but she set out with no experience and really got hammered when she sailed from US coast to Ireland. Lots of boats are suitable for offshore sailing; and the types of boats that could be used are wide and varied. It looks to me that you are more interested in a ex-racer/cruiser to become a full cruiser; and lots of people are doing this with boats similar to the Hughes 35.

Other boats to look at in this class would be older C&C's, Tartans, or Ericsons.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 09-23-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook