SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeff H. Please compare
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road
Jeff H. Please compare

Thanks Jeff!!! My question was prompted by a question about windage effects on performance. It is too general a question but basically I was wanting a discussion of the tradeoffs between a fat high windage fin keel and a skinny,full keel boat.
I am the kind of guy who enjoys walking around the dock and yard just looking at boats. At my dock right now we have everything from a fat heavy double ender from Holland to water ballasted catalinas. Being conservative by nature I bought a Pearson 323 as a compromise between seaworthy and slow. My wife thought that I was disappointed with our pearson as I was so impressed with the double ender. My response was that I am pleased with the Pearson for our coastal cruising plans but would want the double ender to cross an ocean. The pearson is relatively slow and doesn''t point as well as some. but I like the 4.5'' draft,the 1.75 capsize ratio and higher motion comfort.
Back on topic: Under what conditions would a low windage full keel boat be more suitable than a high volume fin keel boat. For simplicity just consider sailing characteristics.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook