SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeff H. Please compare
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Jeff H. Please compare

A full keeled lower volume boat is at its best as a historical experience, in other words they offer a different sailing aesthetic than a modern design. That aesthetic can be appealing for a range of uses. They are at a disadvantage in lighter winds, and heavier winds preferring mid-range conditions. They are generally not ideal coastal cruisers being limited in interior volume and sailing ability. They are generally not ideal as offshore boats typically being wet and rolly and requiring more frequest sail changes than a newer offshore oriented design.

I want to point out that having a double end really does nothing good for you offshore. From a sailing dynamic standpoint the lack of a transom is strictly a styling issue which actually can work against offshore capabilities and comfort.

Also, while I generally like the Pearson 323 in many ways, I want to point out that the so called capsize ratio and motion comfort index tell you absolutely nothing about the likelihood of a capsize or the comfort of the motion of the boat. These surrogate formulas were developed when all boats were fairly similar in design and so worked when comparing boats of a feather. They contain none of the critical information that impacts the resistance to capsize or the motion of a vessel. A boat like the Pearson 323, whatever its obvious merits has a very high vertical center of gravity and deep canoe body and not much dampening. As a result dispite its capsize ratio and motion comfort index numbers it is not especially resistant to capsize and does not offer a particularly comfortable motion being on the corky, rolly side of the equation.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook