SailNet Community - View Single Post - Internet Cafes
Thread: Internet Cafes
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road
Internet Cafes

Stede,

Costa Rica has changed a lot in the last 6 years. Now you can find internet access in the bigger San Jose hotels, and just about every little town has an "internet cafe".

When I first mentioned them to an IT friend of mine he said "Charlie, an internet cafe has HUNDREDS of computers on T1 lines. At least in England that''s what they''re like."

I was shocked at this because all I had ever seen was a computer or two on small table in the corner of a bar or store. I do know that there is internet access now in Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, and (probably) Limon. On the west coast, it may be in Golfito, Playa Zancudo and probably Montezuma, as well as Jaco.

On a sailing note, Puerto Viejo is where I saw my first cat on a beautiful day lying leasurely inside the reef in 3 feet of clear water and all of 12 feet from the golden sand beach. She lay maybe 60 feet from the shops. I was immediately impressed.

There is little protected water that I know of on the lower Caribbean coast, but there this boat sat protected from the swells. This one remembered image is the most potent arguement why I want shoal draft or a K/CB.

Chas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook