SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mixing elbow
Thread: Mixing elbow
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Going to max rpm for a brief period is a way of making sure everything in the propulsion system is working properly. If you can't get there you may have too much prop pitch or a problem with the motor. Also, many mechanics suggest running at wide open throttle for 10 minutes a few times a season to help keep carbon build up to a minimum. And, if you plan on selling the boat a surveyor will likely want to run at WOT and see of the engine reaches the max rated rpm.
I'm not suggesting that running at WOT should be strictly avoided. It's really just that the OP seemed to express exhuberant glee at the prospect (quote: "I hope I can get to at least 3800rpm" on an engine that has that as it's max governed speed).

Without wanting to put too fine a point on it . . . .
  • Problems with the propulsion system will manifest themselves soon enough and if your prop pitch is wrong you should know that without having to regularly run the engine at WOT
  • If your engine is running efficiently and is mostly used at the optimum spot in the fuel consumption curve, there shouldn't be any carbon build-up and IMHO mechanics who subscribe to that philisophy are cowboys. You will rarely find a responsible truck operator running his engines at max RPM "to blow the carbon out". Remember there is a big difference between WOT and max RPM.
I have never found any justification for running at max RPM unless I need strong emergency propulsion. I guess if this is what the OP was suggesting then I've got it wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook