SailNet Community - View Single Post - s2 yachts
Thread: s2 yachts
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
s2 yachts

I also am not an owner but I have spent quite a bit of time on 9.2''s and other S2''s. I always think of these boats as being mediocre in a non perjorative sense of the word. By that I mean they are not all that well built but there much poorer constructed boats out there. The 9.2''s don''t sail all that well but there are far worse sailing boats out there. Of the two versions the 9.2 A (aft cockpit appears to sail better and appears to offer a more comfortable motion than the 9.2 C).

My experience with S2''s is somewhat different than Paul''s. S2''s seem to have a disproportionately large number of deck core problems. I can''t recall being on a 9.2 that didn''t have some. They tend to have mast step and supporting structure problems. They tend to have problems with water getting to the chainplate attachment point and rotting out the bulkhead particularly on the upper shroud which is more concealed from view and drying out. Although these boats have dropped dramatically in price to sales prices somewhere in the high teens and low 20K range, S2''s tend to be overpriced in my view. You will want a very thorough survey on a 9.2.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook