SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeff H. Please compare
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road
Jeff H. Please compare

Thanks Jeff; I have ran across the numbers such as sa/disp, capsize ratio,disp/water line length. Etc in several books. Even here at Sailnet Rousmaniere has an article advocating using the numbers when picking a boat. John Vigor''s book on offshore boats seemed to favor traditional designs.
My personal experience is limited but The P323 has a better motion than a Catalina 30,Hunter 30 ,Macgregor 26, Buccaneer 28 but not as good as a Winga 28. As far as range of positive stability I don''t know but it definately feels less tender than those boats except the Winga.
I agree 100% on the Cape Dory. It''s just such a pretty boat.
How would you go about picking a boat for offshore use?? With so many boats to choose from how would you start the search?? Go to a Catalina or Hunter dealer?? I was surprised by Vigor''s relatively low safety at sea ratings for Pacific Seacraft boats. He seemed concerned about them being pooped without hatchboards in place.
My brother was very happy in the Pacific with his Pacific Seacraft 25. Even in waves higher than the mast near Guam he said he felt safe and in control and that he beat several larger boats on passages. But here in Mobile one broker called it a Sea Slug. But it may be the conditions as Guam and Mobile couldn''t be much more different places to sail.
Thanks again I enjoy your comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook