SailNet Community - View Single Post - wind predictions
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the links everybody, but I trust them about as much as the next guy. We use wunderground, its the same info that you find on NOAA, but I think its more user friendly.

I like the windmapper. Alex had a site he posted about a year ago that was very nice as well.
Don't remember the name right now.

WHAT gets me is the observations that NOAA broadcast on the VHF.
Forecast are one thing, but half the time their observations and my observations are two differnt things.

An example I remebember well, sailing in SW winds, clearly SW at about 15knots and building to very gusty and over 20. Listening to the radio, "Some Local Marine Obsevations", They had light West winds from three local observation points, all of which I was no more than 5 -10 miles away from. It was more than an hour later when we were finally passing the Milwaukee breakwall that they corrected there observations. I think there is a least an hour lapse time in what they are observing, and by that time they could be off again.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 09-25-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook