Originally Posted by JohnRPollard
You got me there, Smackdaddy.
But with the forecast tomorrow, I'm hoping to finally cast off the docklines and raise sails on our boat for the first time ever, if I can figure out how. Weather service is calling for a gale on the Chesapeake, which says to me "reef", I think. Anybody care to walk me through the process, recognizing that this will be our first time hoisting the sails on our boat?
National Weather Service Marine Forecast
I take it this boat is new to you? Does it have jiffy reefing, where ya pull and cleat one line? I'd set the reef as I raised the Main, maybe put two in to start. you can always let a reef out later if it's too much. What size is your Genny/Jib? If it's anything over a 120, ya probably don't wanna fly it in anything over 25 knots or you'll be overpowered and possibly shred the sail. I flew my 150 in winds up to 40 knots before it finally weakened enough to shred in 25 knots one night. What rig do ya have on the boat and what Headsails?