SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cabin Heat
Thread: Cabin Heat
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Still, no worries on the old threads. I wasn't criticizing, just trying to be helpful in making you aware that there's a lot of good info on the topic here at SailNet.

I like those mini-woodstoves like the Halibut, Sardine, etc form Navigator ( Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. ). My wife wants me to install one in our kitchen!

Here's the thing: I know several people with solid fuel and diesel heaters. They all complain about the residue left on deck. You can reduce it by getting a flue extension, but those can't usually be used underway. Also, I think it would be pretty messy to haul and store wood on the boat. Cleaner pellets can be used, but again, it's yet one more fuel to load aboard.

The propane is clean and easy, if that's what you've got for your galley already. The visible flame is REALLY nice too. Just my opinion, others may vary.
Thanks John...You bring up a good point about deck mess and the benefits of clean burning propane..I only have propane locker storage for 2 of the small what are they 8 may be 10 lb bottles..heck maybe there 12 or so I really dont know the size..1/2 the size of a standard 20 lb anyway..So how long a burn time do you guys get?

Got to go to work check in later..Thanks every one.

Oh ...Faster ..Good Eye on spying that space in front of the mast..if it was about 6" deeper It would be a no-brainer to put it there but Im afraid of burns and or skinned knees negotiating around the table even when not in use. And/or someone using the chimney for a handhold while underway.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-25-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook