SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cabin Heat
Thread: Cabin Heat
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I have been impressed with the modest fuel consumption of our P9000. Certainly, it depends on how much time you spend aboard. We also have 2, 10 lb propane tanks, but it has been more than adequate to have a good heat source for an entire season, using the boat as a weekender and vacations.

If you go with the larger P12000 unit, of course it would use more fuel.
You're right, John, the usage seems pretty good (low) to us too.. and especially if you think to turn the flame down once you're comfortable..

Still, if you read the old threads somewhere I dug up the specs on the two Dickinson propane heaters.. IIRC it was around 80 hours/120 hours per 20 lb tank at full flame depending on model. We typically run ours for 3-4 hours at a time (and not overnight.. although I think it's safe enough to do so) on winter weekends so it's not like we're running up to refill tanks all the time.

Including galley stove use and spending 5-8 weeks aboard each summer (rarely using heater then, of course) we refill our 20lb propane tank once a year.. we do have a separate bottle for the BBQ.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook