SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbies buying 1st sailboat
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004

eddieb is on a distinguished road
Newbies buying 1st sailboat

Wow - thanks gang. I can see these message boards will provide me with wealth of valuable information. As one of you said, I''ve come to the right place.

Jeff_H - good point about what kind of sailor I want to be. I''m thinking I''m kind of in the middle. I want the relaxation and ease of sailing, yet I am somewhat interested in the technical side of good sailing, sail trim, etc. The sport of it. Hell, even with a car, I have had a stick shift in every one I''ve owned since I was 18. One of the things that draws me to sailing is the never ending learning process. It''s a learned skill that is practiced and honed while, at the same time, enjoyed along the way. You donít just learn how to do it and you''re done. I like that.

As far as the Beneteau 40.7, my impression, although I haven''t looked at it or the 36.7, was that these are "racing" boats and, as such, would be hard for a new sailor to sail and/or hard to sail singlehanded as opposed to the more cruising type models. Are you saying that''s not really true? Assuming that, I think I need to at least look at these boats. You also say this boat is better suited for my venue of sailing, Southern Cal. Is that due to the predominantly light winds, open ocean sailing, both, or neither (something else)?

OK, Iím convinced Iím not going with a mast furling as I suspected. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Any other types of things like this I should avoid that will compromise performance for no really good reason?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook