SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Emergency Training
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008

mtboat is on a distinguished road
Have only been on a boat in the ocean twice. But we do have rivers and lakes here, and as a river guide, I have achieved a measure of skill at hauling people into rafts in white water. I have had to pull some people in while in some horrific waves. One guy weighed over 300, and I only weigh 150. I think one part of the equation is the timing of the wave. And we "bounce" the person , on the third bounce....heave. Also, important to pull by PFD shoulders, with the patients arms down so PFD doesn't come off. But now I will sail a little differently after reading some of these stories. Ok, so we got them in the boat. What now? I had all the training year after year, and knew the protocols. What I wasn't prepared for was the day I witnessed a drowning right in front of me, and I experienced the absolute terror of pulling up a blue, unresponsive, person. Take my word for it...fear is a factor. The training pays off though ,as I was able to get him in the raft and "air him up" and after 5 minutes with no resperations, and ten minutes of rescue breathing, he revived and was handed off to EMS. One last thought...They are not dead 'till they are warm and dead.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook