SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie questions
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004

guyschwartz is on a distinguished road
Newbie questions

Hello ladies and gentleman:
My name is Guy Schwartz. My wife and I are new to sailing and we live in the San Francisco bay area. We are in the process of getting our education about different manufactures, designs and layouts of various brands.
Our objective is cruising, fun on the bay with family and friends and using the boat as a weekend retreat. We really like the layout of the Catalina 387.
I understand that like everything else in life there are tradeoffs and compromises. Here are questions:
1. Fin keel vs. wing keel? Does the fin have more stability or allow the boat to point higher? Is the fin keel faster than the wing keel? If so by how much?
2. 3 blade prop or 2 blade prop? I have read that variable pitch props can be finicky. What about folding props? What is the performance hit comparing fixed vs. folding. Will folding effect motoring performance?
3. In mast vs. in boom furling vs. standard sail. What is the performance hit for in mast furling? In boom seems better I think because the weight is lower in addition the sail has a more traditional shape because in boom can accommodate battens. Is there a performance hit comparing in boom vs. traditional sail?
These issues have probably been discussed before, however technology and opinions change.
Thank you in advance for your insight and information.
Guy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook