SailNet Community - View Single Post - High Tech on the High Seas
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004

Bermuda is on a distinguished road
High Tech on the High Seas

FWIW, I have been using a self installed totally integrated system since 2000. Some items include a SSB (SEA-235) for some of the voice communication, email, weather forecasts and weather faxes. GPS (several Garmins), Nexus fluxgate compass. GlobalStar Sat Phone for voice, email and internet. Nav Software (Nobeltec 5.0 and now ver 7). I also have my Nexus instrument network tied into the laptop which gives me a complete picture of my envronment while I am below cooking in the galley, reading or resting while single handing. Everything is viewable from below including but not limited to speed and direction, COG, SOG, VMG, AWS, AWD, TWS, TWD, water temperature, barometric pressure, course to steer, cross trac error, depth and on and on ad nauseum. All of this information is also being recorded on the laptop at the same time based on a time increment I set in the system so that on passage end I have a complete and accurate log. I also keep a paper log and paper chart plot.

Additionally I have set my AP up to be controlled from below also so that I dont have to make a trip up to the binnacle in a blow when I see I have wandered off my desired track.

The only thing I would add or change is a remote radar unit below as my radar is located at the binnacle.

Oh and one more thing, if only I could figure a way to hook up the sextant to the darn system <;-)

Is this overkill? Probably. It does keep me interested in my progress and I never get bored.

Fair winds and calm seas,

Capt Bruce
boatskipper.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook