SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time galley cook
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
Well - how did it go?

I was just about to post a reply, and realize you have most likely already returned from your cruise. So - how did it go?

--- Heck, I'll reply anyway for the next guy! ---

If you are a first time galley cook - I'd stick to stove top cooking and skip any attempt at baking.

If we are trying to make a distance, I stick with cereal for breakfast, and have cheese and crackers, soup or a simple sandwich for lunch (as little washing up as possible) - If we have time, and are hanging around on the hook I'll make a good fry up and call it Brunch - throwing in whatever I have available.

We always have plenty of snacks available (I generally buy huge bags of nuts, trail mix, and granola bars - along with any special favorites of whoever is on board). I don't personally like to drink straight water - so I have Crystal light in various flavors for me, and powder gatorade mix for my husband.

You don't mention what refrigeration space you have (if any) that would make your choices. We get through lots of milk (cereal, omletts, baking, etc) and if we can't refrigerate what we'll need until we get to the next store, we have "backup supplies" of Parmalat milk - a blue and white UHT carton milk that stores unrefrigerated for upto 6 months until opening (can find either in the baking section or the coffee and tea section of most supermarkets). Also does the boat come with some basic provisions (Spices? , cooking oil? etc) and cookware (pots, knives, etc)? If you are a coffee drinker in the mornings - do you have a french press on the boat?

I always like a good dinner. Pasta is easy, espeically if you use the ready made sauces. My husband (who does the washing up) prefers 1 pot dinners. I like rice dishes (Indian or oriental) and if I make rice, I make plenty so I can do egg fried rice the next day for snack/brunch. If I make pasta I often make extra and turn it into pasta salad for the next day. I love my pressure cooker, but mostly because I want that propane that I HAVE To FIND and CARRY to last as long as possible - that won't have been an issue in your case (I assume).

If your provisioning the boat for a short time, and your calling it a vacation (rather than living aboard), I'd stick with enjoying the cruise and buying simple or ready to heat type meals. Soup in cartons are good, there are a number of "boil in the bag" Indian dishes which take only 5 minutes to be ready AND have very little washing up. Instant mash potato is easy and lightweight too. Same for cous-cous (versatile, quick and easy to make).

I almost always have onions and potatoes aboard, and apples too. Other fresh fruit and veg are good if you can store them - if not the canned stuff is probably easier in most cases. My staples would be Fruit:mandarin oranges, pineapple, etc, Veg: tinned corn, tomato, mushrooms, olives.

Buy some good fresh bread - and eat out too when you get a chance.

To be honest for 5 days you won't need much - you'll probably over buy and then have to give away a bunch of food. Plan ahead and get youself a list for the supermarket once you arrive.

Don't forget the beer and wine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook