SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsail boom control running rigging
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
It sounds similar to mine which I've attempted to describe in the attached drawing. On mine, there's a triple block attached to the boom and a fiddle block with a cam cleat on either side. The line goes from one of the fiddle blocks, through the block on the boom to the fiddle block on other side, then back up to the boom, then to the opposite side etc,etc. Ultimately, you get a lot of purchase and the ability to trim from either side. There are also a couple of downsides in my opinion. None are the end of the world, but are opportunities for improvement. Because there is no control of the line as it passes through the triple block, you can never the the boom to centerline when close hauled. You can pull it down, but not uphill. Because of the round trip between all those blocks, there is a lot of sheet in play. I think mine is around 85' in all. That makes for a lot of friction and it takes either a lot of wind, or a lot of pushing on the boom to get it to go all the way out. This is at least partially because the sheet crosses itself a few times on the way to and from that triple block. Lastly, you can end up with the entire sheet on one side and find yourself on the other side with no sheet to ease. Again, not the end of the world, but I'm thinking there's got to be a better way. I'm considering replacing it with a traveler...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MainSheetRig.jpg (22.5 KB, 183 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook