SailNet Community - View Single Post - PHRF
Thread: PHRF
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004

Bawgy is on a distinguished road
PHRF

I was informed that my boat would not perform well in phrf races . I was wondering then , How fair is the phrf rating ? I am a novice sailor but nothing was mentioned about my sailing ability. I am on a fast learning curve and trying to gather information on all aspects of sailing . I also understand that phrf ratings vary from region to region .

so here are two questions for informed people to educate me with their answers . I highly respect the answers Jeff has given on this BB and would like to hear other opinions as well .

1.... Statement by qualified person ; With all due respect I dont feel your boat (boat x ) would perform well at phrf races. That being stated leads me to believe that the PHRF rating does not accuratly reflect the performance values of BOAT X. Why wouldnt BOAT X be able to compete under the Phrf ratings with BOAT Y.

2......What changes the phrf rating to make it different say from New York region to Florida ?

These questions are not meant to criticize the PHRF system , but to help me better understand it if and when I choose to participate in an event that uses this rating sysyem. Thanks , BAWGY
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook