SailNet Community - View Single Post - wind generator
Thread: wind generator
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008
Charter Captain

Location: Buffalo, NY (warm months), Liveaboard in Caribbean (cold months)
harryrezz is on a distinguished road
I assume you're buying the KISS new.
I've had mine since '04 and I love it. It comes supplied with everything you'll really need. They supply a control box with the stop switch. It simply reverses the polarity and will stop the blades in up to about 25 kt winds. Over that just use your boat hook and CAREFULLY catch the control cord at the rear of the unit (clearly explained in the directions) and turn it around 'till it stops, then tie it down with the loop which you'll have in place (also in the directions). Mine is directly hooked to my bank of 4, 6-volt house batteries. I simply monitor the charge level, and it it is in danger of going too high I shut down the KISS - simple! No need fo a controller at all. In fact, they do NOT recommend one! I'm in the southern Caribbean, and during the winter months the wind is almost always at 20 kt+ and I've never had an overcharging problem ... and that's with two 80 watt solar panels hooked in, too (they ARE on a controller).
You will love the KISS - provided you are in an area with enough wind.
BTW, make sure the mounting pole is VERY strong and well braced, and put a thick rubber pad between it and the deck to dampen noise.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Located Southern Caribbean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook