SailNet Community - View Single Post - New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004

John-A is on a distinguished road
New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions

I have just purchased a new X-Yacht 46 that will be ready for pick-up in August. I have a few months before I have to get my “options” finalized and I was hoping I could throw a few questions out to this group. I have been impressed with the level of comments and the depth of the threads and I am hoping to learn lots as I have lots to learn. Instead of putting all my questions in one thread I will ask a couple of questions at a time.

Having read most of the threads over the last few months I know it is important that you guys know what type of sailing that I want to do and location. I am an American that is living in Amsterdam (location of my company’s International Headquarters) and have been living in Holland for 5.5 years. I will be sailing the vessel around the Ijselmeer which is a huge lake Northeast of Amsterdam that use to be part of the North Sea until they dammed it off 50 years ago (little bit of Dutch History lesson here). This body of water has two primary leads out to the North Sea (one North and the other West) which will take you to places like Denmark/Norway, UK, Belgium and France. I am more like the fine-tuning cruiser than the race focused sailor. If the tell-tales are aiming the right way and I am going slightly faster than everyone else, the rest does not matter. In case you guys are not familiar with this new model from X-Yachts here are the standard numbers…

X-Yacht 46 has:
-LOL of 46’
-LWL 40’3”
-Beam 13’6
-Draft 7’9”
-Disp 23,600 pounds (705 lbs comes from an extra weight option insert into the keel)
-D/L Ratio 156 (prior to the extra 705 lbs)
-Ballast is 10,000 lbs (prior to the 705 lbs)
-Sail Area 1,115 sq ft
-SA/D 22.10 (prior to the extra 705 lbs)
-75 hp Saildrive Volvo

I want more stability than normal so that is why I opted for the extra weight in the keel and I am thinking about adding an In-Boom furling as well. I did not want to put an In-Mast furling as I did not want to loose that much performance and I did not want the extra weight so high in the boat. I made the mistake of taking the family (wife and an 8 year old boy) down to the BVIs last summer and cruised around for two weeks on a 47 foot catamaran. I had to do a lot of fast talking when a monohual came up on the short list for our real boat…..As this will be a family boat I want it to be fairly stable and it must be easy for me to sail single-handed (electric winches, In-Boom furling, self tacking option, bow thruster and the standard jib furling) as I would not want to disturb my son’s game boy session or my wife’s book – just kidding they are both looking forward to a weekend get away place.

Getting to my first question …..I have read a few resent threads about how XXX boat rides rough but fast while boat XXX ride smooth but sways heavily when on anchor, and boat XXX is slow but a tank could not move it ….. Any thoughts on how this boat will sail/ride? I have read that a carbon fiber mast is good for racing but how will it affect the boat in normal cruising environments? Another way to ask the question – what are the Pros and Cons on a Carbon Fiber mast for cruising not racing? As the mast will be lighter therefore the top-heaviness (is this a real word??) will be reduced resulting in less heal/swaying back and forth??? Does having a Carbon Fiber mast and an In-Boom furling go well together or do they cancel each other out?

Thanks

-John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook