SailNet Community - View Single Post - Desire comments on Michigan City or New Buffalo
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Desire comments on Michigan City or New Buffalo

Currently, we dock at ReefPoint in Racine. We're happy there, but are considering getting on the other side of the lake where it is easier to get to more picturesque surrounding harbors up the eastern coast of Michigan. As we live in the western burbs of Chicago, we can't get too far north in Michigan without making it too long of a car trip to get to the boat. Thus, Michigan City or New Buffalo probably would have to be the choices (if there are others that fit in the approx two hour drive range, let me know).

Anyone have any comments/information on Washington Park Marina or any New Buffalo Marinas? Any and all information would be appreciated, particularly in these areas:
- Condition of marina
- Amenities of the marina
- Safety of the surrounding area
- Access to restaurants/entertainment/activities in the surrounding area
- Cost
- Waiting lists (for a 40' slip)
- Water depth of marina and channels (We draw 6'). I know many years ago, New Buffalo has issues with a sand bar that caused some bottoming out at the entrance to the harbor

Anything else you might think I should know. We not looking to move next summer, but maybe shortly after that.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook