SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008

anthony11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I just received a notification on a Sabre 30 yesterday from my broker at 8:15AM. It sold to someone else less than one hour after being listed for the full asking price; which I learned when I said "I want to see it!" Sounds "seller's market" to me on that one. ;-)
I smell a set-up or pre-sale there.
Quote:
Those that need large loans? THAT will crimp the buyers and could reduce new boat sales - bringing UP the used boat market.
The new boat market is already tiny compared to the used boat market, so I'm somewhat skeptical that a shift from new to used will be more than a drop in the proverbial bucket.

I've heard a prediction that powerboaters will be moving to sailboats in a big way because of fuel costs (that 30' Sea Ray above in this thread costs something like $500 to fill the tank, no?) and that this will result in a surge in sailboat prices. I'm skeptical about that too -- for many owning a boat isn't about actually traveling across the water, and my thought is that this is substantially the case with powerboaters and their penile stand-ins, so the ones who aren't so rich that they can ignore fuel prices will either let their boats sit idle even more than they usually do, or sell them and get out of boating altogether.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook