SailNet Community - View Single Post - New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions

Oops, I forgot a couple of points here.

While I have not sailed these boats, in a general sense they derive pretty heavily from the IMS type form. IMS boats tend to offer a very seakindly motion for their comparatively light weights. They have a very low center of gravity, moderate form stability, and a lot of dampening and so tend to roll through small roll angles with a comfortable roll rate. Upwind, because of their long waterline lengths and fine bows, they have a wonderfully smooth ride (especially on models with Vee''d rather than U shaped bow sections). With a standing Sail Area/Disp of 22 or so you should be able to get by with a small lapper (something like 105 to 110%) as a general purpose cruising sail. Lappers are much easier to tack and handle especially on a boat of this size. Lappers tend to have a very wide wind range on an easily driven hull like this. Ideally the sail should be cut as a jib (rather than a blade) and constructed of a low stretch fabric (spectra for cruising).

I would suggest that you discuss hand-holds with the factory. The X boat cruising boats I have been on do not seem to have a lot of places to grab as you move around the boat. It is easier to add them now rather than later.

Also at the last boat show I believe that the salesman mentioned that some of the X-boats use a carbon fiber reinforced glass keel foil. While that really helps lower the VCG, it worries me a bit with the iron grid, bronze prop, aluminum outdrive electrolisis stew. I''d discuss that with the factory.

I really like the layout of the four cabin galley, head and main salon. But I think the three cabin forward cabin and bow storage locker makes a lot more sense for cruising.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook