SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have been looking at boats lately and the brokers have said there are really two different markets - People who are selling generic production boats are more often inexperienced sailors than are those selling higher end boats - You MIGHT find a good deal on one of those generic boats but it is more a case of prices not rising at all and more sellers willing to negotiate. The higher end boats were more often bought by people who knew exactly what they were doing, are people who are actually sailing their boats all the time and are willing to wait for the right buyer. So that end of the market tends more just to freeze up for a while.

I know I know. The brokers are trying to tell me to buy the boat I am looking at for what the sellers want - But as a point of reference, I tried to look at a Caliber last week that was under contract within two weeks of listing. It was in good shape and well equipped - and it sold for about 10% under asking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook