SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Transport - 30ft sailboat
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Boat Transport - 30ft sailboat

It''s very rare that I actually have something to offer on here, other than questions.

If you do a search on the net titled something like "boat shipping" you will get a long list of shippers and agents for shippers that you can contact. I called some of both, got estimates, and picked the one that seemed to promise the best combination of price and performance. It all worked well.

What you will find out is that there are trucks of opportunity and dedicated trucks. The first is one that is near where your boat is on some other mission and can pick it up as part of its return trip. This is much cheaper than the second, which is a truck sent to pick up your boat. In essence, you are paying for both trips, rather than just the return. If you are in a hurry, you might want a dedicated truck. If you have time, you can wait for a target of opportunity.

Secondly, there are hydraulic trailers that can lift the boat off of its stands and carry it away. These are more expensive to hire, but they do not need the support of a crane from a nearby (one hopes) marina, which support adds to the cost of a regular trailer.

It cost me roughly $1200 to ship my 35'' boat from Newport, RI to Deale, Maryland on a truck of opportunity with a hydraulic trailer. I''m guessing that the trip you are contemplating would cost at least twice that.

It would probably be very difficult to find a trailer that would accommodate your specific boat, and very expensive to have one built.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook