SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat cost vs Powerboats
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004

Fishboat is on a distinguished road
Sailboat cost vs Powerboats

I''ll skip the history of how this question came to bug me, but why is it that older powerboats (like a Downeast type or even a small trawler type) are so much more expensive than a comparable size sailboat?

>Lets say 10-15 years old
>powerboat speeds less than 15 knots (250-300hp, inboard diesel)
>maybe around 30 feet LOA for either boat

I realize a powerboat will have a MUCH larger engine/drivetrain than a sailboat, but a sailboat will have all the rigging & sails that the powerboat will not. The costs of either are about a wash.

A powerboat hull would likely need a greater degree of structural support than a sailboat(?) to deal with the higher speeds/stresses in rough water. This isn''t to say that a sailboat doesn''t have to deal with large degrees of stress.

Many power & sailboats have very similar systems with regard to shorepower/battery banks/charging, galley systems, hot/cold pressure water, head/shower, hatches, pumps, berths, ground tackle, electronics.....and yet when you compare the two it seems powerboats can easily run 50-150% more $$ than a comparable size(displacement) sailboat. It seems you can get alot of (sail)boat for a very reasonable amount of money.

Why so much (apparent) difference?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook