SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyonR3 View Post
...As for the swap between power and sail for a savings.. I figured it out a couple years ago as my brother has a large power boat compared to our 42 foot sail boat..
Every 10 to 15 years we can figure a new set of sails and standing rigging at 25 to 30 thousand dollars. and figureing fuel cost, thats 2 thousand dollars per year for the power boat for fuel and maintance.
You can buy a-lot of fuel and do a-lot of maintance for 2k per year..
Maybe when the fuel was <$2/gal. Most boaters were paying close to $5/gallon this past summer.

Also, a 42 footer is a fairly large sailboat, about 3X the maintenance cost of a 30 footer. For our 31 footer, I bought a new genny AND mainsail (to replace sails that were original 18+ years) for about half the cost of my B-I-L's annual (4 month season) fuel budget on a Trojan 33. He needs about $2K in fuel for a one week family vacation. Times have changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook