SailNet Community - View Single Post - New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004

jkumin is on a distinguished road
New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions

Well, I''ve watched this site for a while - this thread motivated me to join and chime in. My wife and I are about to take possession of our new boat - a Finngulf 41 and we considered many of the same issues. For better of worse, thought I''d offer our conclusions. As with John-A, agree with the value of knowing the background of the poster. We live and cruise in southcentral Alaska. Like Jeff H I am a practicing architect. I studied naval architecture as an undergrad at U Michigan so have some technical background. Raced dinghies in college and enjoy racing big boats too. Been doing this a long time but am a coastal cruiser, not an around-the-world type. If I have any special expertise its in dis-mastings. First time as a kid in Mass. on an old wooden ketch, second time in Typhoon Holly in the Gulf of Alaska in a San Juan 28 (yes, we had no business being there) and third time when a chainplate weld broke in the Southern Straits Race out of Vancouver BC (along with a few others, it blew that year). So I''m careful with rigs.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook