SailNet Community - View Single Post - New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004

jkumin is on a distinguished road
New X-46 -- New Intro -- First Questions

I''m going to try again to complete this message. I gave up a while ago after three or four tries. The post above (which I inadvertently sent half complete) was to provide a background to the choice we made, which is a carbon mast. Carbon masts can be way lighter and as strong as aluminum, or somewhat lighter and a lot stronger. Witness the Volvo 60''s which dropped rigs much more regularly in the aluminum days. They add stability but more than that, they reduce pitching. Friends here were dismasted in their Beneteau 42 a couple years ago. They replaced it with a carbon rig and said the big surprise was how much drier the boat was upwind. Where we sail, dry is good. Lightning is not an issue here, which made the choice easier. The carbon mast mfrs have electrical grounding recommendations. We''ll all know more on this topic as carbon rigs get more common.

The steel grid is a concern in a severe gounding - I''ve heard they can pop loose. The differing modulus of steel and glass work doesn''t allow good load sharing. However X-yachts has built lots of these and they have a good reputation.

As for water in the bilge, get a mast with a waterstop. We had an Isomat rig in the mid 80''s that had a glob of foam and a drain hole above the partners. The bilge stayed dusty. Hall Spars does it with a sloped aluminum plate.

Look into a self-tacker - X-yachts will add one for you. We have one now and will on the new boat. One jib works from 6 - 30 kts., just flatten then reef the main as the wind builds. Pinned amidship they are the best ever motoring sail. We think slab reefing is the way to go, and we reef a lot. Trying single line but if don''t like it will rig 2 lines back to the cockpit.

I agree with Jeff H on most everything (a little scary actually) but would argue that IMS has moved away from low VCG''s. The designers have figured out it penalizes stability and are taking lead out of the bulbs and putting it in the bilges. Dumb.

You''re going to love that X-46!

jon k
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook