SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you buy for $100,000?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008

Alistair57 is on a distinguished road
What to buy

Hi

I know this will probably get me kicked off of the forum but If I was going to spend 100k US I would invest in a Jim Brown Searunner. Not heard of them well they are Trimarans now I know this is akin to recommending devil worship but consider the following.

I cruise in the Hauraki Gulf in New Zealand. For about 50k of your US dollars I have just bought a 37' boat which can be beached when I want, has 4 permanent double bunks, a salon where I can sit and look out at the scenery. It cruises happily at 5-6 knots in any wind and will happily tootle along at 7-12 knots with little drama when the wind gets stiffer. If you drop the centerboard it will appear to point within 30 degrees of wind but when I checked on the GPS chart it was only 54 degrees which is not too bad. I haven't played with the 10' of main traveler but would anticipate we could improve if we used that. Everybody sits at least 8' from the water in a center cockpit. There is enough deck space to have a garden party and Tramps to lie and watch the dolphins. All in all I'm very pleased and consider it the best bang for buck I could buy.

I will be honest in that it does have one major flaw which may prove a deal buster in that berthing it's 20' of width may be a problem, fortunately I was able to find nice berth for about $US 30 a week.

Think hard before you dismiss these boats your hard earned cash is just that and you should get the most boat for your money. Coming late to sailing and with no preconceived ideas about what is a proper sailing boat, this was a no brainer. Particularly when I talked to a friend and he had been out in hurricane winds in a sister boat with waves breaking over the 45' mast.

It also sails reasonably easily single handed as I am 6'4 and am over 300lbs and I cope with no problem by myself.

Kind regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook