SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32
Thread: Bristol 32
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Bristol 32

That said, I believe it is a "full keel with cutaway forefoot." Herreschoff, as I recall, designed the 32? Maybe you''re looking at a Ted Hood design. Educate thyself, crawl through the boat, look at bulkhead attachments, satisfy yourself as to seaworthiness. Those old wilcox crittenden seacocks and thru hulls go bad and brittle. Replace. Build quality does vary wildly for the same models, same years in old production boats. I just refit (read, admittedly spent way too much) my Bristol 35 "as new"- actually better than new. When I left Rhode Island, I had several people come over to the mooring in Newport admiring the boat - and to me it was a wreck after being on hard for 3 years in Maine. One couple headed for Bermuda told me they sold their B-35 and bought an Albin something or other and wished they hadn''t. I quote "our Bristol 35 went to windward great." Several people in the boatyard down here have come over and accused me of having a Hinckley. New awlgrip, nonskid, Bristol finish, all stainless above decks, tinted lexan portlights, painted spars, standing, running, traveler, pumps, stripped to gelcoat and, for the first time, epoxy barrier built to 10 mil with 4 coats of bottom paint, etc. I recall "hobby horsing" on an Pearson Alberg 26, a little Southern Cross 28 (bad) but nothing serious on the Bristol. Maybe on the centerboard models? There''s several I know of sailing the Caribbean liveaboard at this moment, and a few 32''s and 34''s. It goes to windward very well, but dogs downwind. We reach and avoid dead down. Like dragging a paddle in a canoe. I think we can assume you don''t plan to race it. There''s dozens of boats of similar ilk running offshore. Perfect, but that''s only my opinion, for a Caribbean circuit. I doubt I''ll be going to the Med anytime soon. Educate thyself and just do it. Wait for perfection in selection and it may never come. Take any advice, including this, with a grain of salt, and educate yourself before you buy. Respectfully, Coral Bay Denizen (and splashing next week YA-FREAKING-HOO!). See you in Bequia.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook