SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32
Thread: Bristol 32
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Bristol 32

Clearly you are not familiar with the Bristol 32. They are a very different boat than the 35''s and the 34''s. The Bristol 29 and 34''s were Sidney D Herreshoff designs. The 32 is a Ted Hood design. The B 34 like your Alden designed Bristols offer a pretty nice motion. I assure you that the 32''s hobbyhorse miserably in any kind of a chop. The 32''s are at best so-so boats for their age to windward (we had an easy time beating them to windward with our old Pearson Vanguard which was also no great shakes to windward). By any traditional definition of a fin keel (any keel whose bottom is 50% or less of the length on deck), these are clearly a fin keel with attached rudder. To begin with the waterline length is only 2/3''s of the length on deck. Below the water there is a sharply cut away forefoot and a sharply raked rudder. I would guess that the bottom of the keel is something less than 40% of the length on deck which would make it a fin with attached rudder. (There was a keel/enterboard version of the Bristol 32.)

In any event, how every you choose to describe this keel, sailing the boat, it comes with all of the liabilities of both a fin and a full length keel, with none the inherrent virtues of either.

I do agree with VIEXILE''s advice that it would be a mistake to wait for the perfect boat, but by the same token I would suggest that it makes little sense to buy an over priced poorly suited boat just to get going a little bit sooner.

Respectfully,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook