SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32
Thread: Bristol 32
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Bristol 32

I am sorry, that message came out sounding much ''snippier'' than I had actually meant it to be. My main point is that the Bristol 32 and to a lesser extent the Bristol 40, both of which were designed in the mid 1960''s, were not as well rounded designs as the later Bristol designs and by far are less suitable for the kind of adventure that the original poster was asking about.

My second point has to do with the current tendency to label any boat with an attached rudder as a ''full keel'' when many meet the traditional definition of a ''fin keel'' with an attached rudder. There would be little harm in mislabeling these keels except that there are big differences in how these keels behave as compared to true full length keels or even long keels. As a result this has become a bit of a hot button for me since I fear that inexperienced sailors are likely to be mislead in their expectations by the misapplication of the term.

Again I apologize for the tone of the prior post.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook